Police confirmed 12 Sulu intruders died in Lahad Datu standoff
Police warned irresponsible people from spreading rumours.(Graphic by Dayang Norazhar/ The Mole)
KUALA LUMPUR:Twelve Filipino followers of a self-proclaimed sultan died in a shootout with Malaysian security forces Friday, police told AFP after a 17-day standoff.
Sabah state police chief Hamza Taib said that in addition to two police officers killed, "three were injured and... 12 intruders died" in the firefight.
Blogger Apanamawrote: "Sabah police chief Datuk Hamzah Taib briefed the media in Lahad Datu at 5pm and has denied that the police have imposed a curfew in Lahad Datu. Only the area surrounding Kampung Tanduo is off limit to the public.
He also wrote : "Police are in full control of the situation and have warned irresponsible people from spreading unfounded rumuors about the security in Sabah.
Meanwhile, a Twitter user Philip Golingai wrote: “Sabah police chief said police recovered some of the weapons of the armed intruders.”
He also tweeted: “Headcount of armed intruders in Lahad Datu: 180 including 30 gunmen minus 12 killed = 168. #LahadDatuAttack”
Blogger Datuk Ahirudin Attan or Rocky in his latest post wrote that the authorities had tried to end the standoff against the armed Sulu intruders by diplomatic channels while containing the situation to ensure that the locals are secured.
“Some of us sitting comfortably in air-con rooms far away from Lahad Datu criticised this display of "weakness" and wanted Hishammuddin Hussein, the Home Minister, to draw blood. The efforts in diplomacy fell through today and the bloodthirsty people got their wish: just after the Friday prayers, we received news that two of our police commandos had been killed in a mortar attack, a few more injured, and several dead intruders.
I have no doubt that we will prevail but it angers one to see some Malaysians still trying to score stupid political points at this stage. When the dust has settled and we have buried our fallen heroes, let's support efforts to make Malaysia safer from all threats - from outside as well as inside,” he wrote.
Meanwhile in a news report Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak confirmed that two police personnel were killed in the clash and three others were injured.
Najib was quoted as saying: “I am very sad over the incident because what we had wanted to prevent, which is bloodshed, had actually happened.”
He said he has given full mandate to Inspector General of Police Tan Sri Ismail Omar and the he Armed Forces Chief Tan Sri Zulkefli Mohd Zin to take necessary action.
Defence Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Hamidi clarified on his Twitter pertaining to his silence on the issue.
Denying that he is not taking responsibility and does not care of the Lahad Datu issue, Zahid said it is the Cabinet which had decided that only Home Minister and the IGP should give their statements on the matter.
“Tentera sama bantu Polis disana.” (Armed Forces are helping the police there too).”